Week of 15 August 2016
The following information summarizes what is new in the edX platform this week.
The edX engineering wiki Release Pages provide detailed information about
every change made to the edx-platform GitHub repository. If you are interested
in additional information about every change in a release, create a user
account for the wiki and review the dated release pages.
Course teams that add non-English videos to a course and want to provide
English transcripts can now select English from the transcript language list.
This release includes the following improvements to drag and drop problems.
- A new, optional assessment mode requires learners to drop all draggable
items before receiving feedback, and allows course teams to restrict the
number of attempts.
- Draggable items can now match more than one target zone.
- Target zones can now align draggable items after learners drop them.
- Draggable items no longer accept numeric input when learners drop them on
For updated documentation, see
Drag and Drop Problem in Building and Running an
edX Course or Drag and Drop Problem in Building
and Running an Open edX Course.
To ensure that course IDs are unique identifiers, the edit check performed
for new courses is now case insensitive. As a result, you can no longer
create an “edx demox 1” course if an “edX DemoX 1” course already exists.
- In account settings, after learners specify their country or region and then
select the time zone field, the time zones are now sorted to show time zones
applicable to the selected country at the top of the list. (TNL-4791)
- The learner dashboard now displays programs of any type. Course runs listed
on the dashboard link to related programs, and program cards are no longer
limited to XSeries only. (ECOM-4638)
- For some courses, course teams reported that selecting a discussion post
failed to show its responses and comments as expected. The defect that caused
this problem in the course discussions has been corrected. (TNL-5173)
- An error in the way that some numerical input problems appeared to learners
has been corrected. Trailing text is now responsive, meaning that it appears
next to the response field if there is sufficient space. Trailing text
appears below the response field only if the browser window or mobile device
screen is too narrow to show them side by side. (TNL-4584)
- Learners were unable to use the Safari browser to verify their
identification. This error has been corrected. (ECOM-5149)
- In Insights, all dates are now reported in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
Previously, time zone differences could cause apparent discrepancies between
the dates used by tooltips, charts, tables, and .csv downloads.
- In Insights, all x-axis labels for dates now include the year value and
appear in DD Mon YYYY format. (AN-4035)
--settings parameter is now available for the
Previously, this task always used the devstack settings file, and as a result
could not be used on fullstack instances.