Open edX Ginkgo Release
This page lists the highlights of the Ginkgo release.
The edX Release Notes contain a summary of changes that are deployed to
edx.org. Those changes are part of the master branch of the edX Platform in
GitHub. You can also find release announcements on the open.edx.org
Changes listed for July 7, 2017 and before are included in the Ginkgo release
of Open edX. Changes after that point will be in future Open edX releases.
The Open edX Ginkgo release includes the following updates.
- The Course page now opens to a course outline that serves as the basis
for a new course home experience. This course outline features a full-page
course outline that lists all sections and subsections at once. It replaces
the course outline sidebar on course content pages that listed sections and
subsections. It allows learners to focus on content consumption and
progression through the course. For more information, see
Course Navigation Changes on the Open edX portal.
- The Course page now includes breadcrumb navigation that learners can
select from any course page to return to the course outline.
- The video player now uses HLS video playback when YouTube videos are not
available. HLS causes the player to continually check each learner’s internet
connection and adjust video playback, so that learners are always viewing the
highest quality video possible for their internet connection.
- Search functionality is available on the Outline page.
- Learners now receive an email when they’ve submitted a proctored exam that
lets them know their exam has been received, as well as when to expect scores.
This email also provides information about whether the learner has passed or
failed proctoring and why.
- Learners can now sort inline discussions by most votes, most activity, and
- Learner responses for open responsesassessments can now include more than
one file. The maximum cumulative upload size has been increased to 10 MB.
- The LMS is compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0
level AA. We have made a number of accessibility improvements that, among
other things, provide easier navigation using keyboards, screen readers,
or other assistive technology.
- A new Courses page in Insights provides a dashboard view of all of your
courses. For information, see Overview of All Courses.
The Catalog service has been upgraded to RabbitMQ 3.6.9.
The Credentials service now requires Python 3.5.
The Open edX platform now supports only the integrated Otto
receipt page. Users can no longer redirect to the
The Open edX platform now supports only the Secure Acceptance
Silent Order POST integration for CyberSource. To use this integration, users
must create a new profile in the business center.
The merchant notifications endpoint has been removed.
Django Oscar has been upgraded to version 1.4.
The Course Administration Tool has been updated to use the user account
associated with the OAuth credentials rather than individual users’ accounts.
The user associated with the OAuth credentials (at edx.org, we use the
ecommerce_worker) must have full create/read/update/delete
permissions for the following models on LMS.
In addition, if you are using Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) verification,
this user must have the
The Ginkgo release makes version updates to a number of system components.
See Webpack for more information.
https://github.com/edx/eslint-config-edx. Packages are provided for ES5 and
ES2015+. See ESLint for more details.
Several features are deprecated or deleted in the Open edX Ginkgo release.
- The Programs service was deprecated in Ficus. It has been replaced by the Catalog
service in Ginkgo.
- The Credentials API v2 has replaced the Credentials API v1, which has been
- The waffle flag
unified_course_view, which can be used for the new view
of the course outline on a separate page, is deprecated in Ginkgo. The old
sidebar navigation and this waffle flag will be fully removed in the next