10.41. Staff Graded Points
EdX offers provisional support for this tool.
Staff Graded Points allows you to assign scores to learners for off-platform activities
or participation, at the assessment level. It provides a text component with instructions
to learners, and a way for you to assign grades.
10.41.1. Create a Staff Graded Points assignment
- Under Add New Component select Staff Graded Points
- In Advanced Settings, specify title and max_score
- Specify learner-facing instructions
- After learners complete the assignment you’re grading, Grade Learners (see below.)
10.41.1.1. Staff Graded Points settings
Display Name (optional)
|The display name for this component.
|Markdown formatted instructions to the learner.
Problem Weight (optional)
|Enter the number of points possible for this component. The default value is 1.0.
10.41.1.2. Grading Learners
While your course is running, after learners have had a chance to complete the off-platform assignment you’re grading, you can assign learner grades from the LMS Instructor view of the component as follows:
- Export scores. Download a grading CSV and use this as a template to assign scores for this problem. You can use track/cohort filters to limit to grading only a subset of learners.
- (On your own machine) Fill out grades. Open the CSV in a spreadsheet editor and assign scores to learners via “New Points” field. Leave scores that you don’t want to change blank.
- Import scores Uploading the filled out CSV. Learners will immediately see their grades after import completes. Supports smaller courses - i.e. file sizes up to 4MB. Note: [Provisionally supported: usage in large courses] To use in larger courses, break up your grade file CSV by rows, and import in separate files – or use the track & cohort filters to limit to a subset of rows. In this case, keep the header row for each file. This manual approach for larger courses is error prone, so we are making it available as a use-at-your-own-risk feature for advanced users, but don’t explicitly support it.
- Review result File is uploaded, validated, scores are overwritten for non-blank rows. You’ll get a readout at the bottom of the screen.